Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Kinda Gross...Be Careful!!!

You have been warned. The images below may be a bit disturbing. But part of a regular life for me I guess.

This is my vet, Dr Williams and his assistant, Amanda, holding firmly to Lil' Joe. He is in a wonderful contraption called a "gag" or a speculum and his head is supported by a sling. The purpose of this thing is to allow the "dentist" to work on a horses teeth. Not only is Lil' Joe installed in this brace he is also drugged up. If you know horses you know that there probably isn't one out there that would allow this to happen with out the drugs.
Because we don't allow our horses to graze all day as God had designed them to do we have to have their teeth filed every so often. I had avoided this for two reasons. One, it's ugly, mean and gross. Two, it's really, really expensive.
Today, I had all three of my "babies" at the dentist. Get it over with was my motto.
Lil' Joe hadn't lost his front caps completely so the dentist helped them a long. As you can see it was a little bloody and kinda sad. You remember when you had a loose tooth that wasn't quite ready to pull but you decide to mess with it and pull it out anyway. When you did this there was quite a bloody show. That's what this is all about. Notice the extremely relaxed lips. He was way out of it for at least an hour. Can't say I blame him.

Here are his two front teeth. Cute huh? Now he can sing it...you know the Christmas song that goes..."All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth". Awe, poor Lil' Joe. It didn't bother him that much because he has eating just fine after the drugs wore off. Gotta survive, that's what he says.
Here's a shot of Poneeh having the same procedure done. No teeth pulled since he's an old guy. The dentist did have to file his wolf teeth pretty far down though. I am sure he was not a little bothered by all of this. It's amazing he was so drugged that he almost lost leg control, but as soon as the "drill bit" started he wanted nothing to do with it. But all went well. It will be nice not to be concerned about their teeth for a while.


Well, that's it for today. I hoped you enjoyed todays lesson in Horse Husbandry and Dentistry.
Next episode...Removing Beans From Your Gelding. Just kidding. I wouldn't put you through that. If you thought this was gross, that would certainly take you over the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment