Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thirty Freakin' Years!!!

I mean that in a very good excited way.
Around 2 am August 11, 1979, I awoke to the sound of rain and thunder. Usual, yes, in the midwest, but not in So Cal in August and on my wedding day. I kinda freaked, just a little, a Buffy kinda freak, which isn't really a freak in the world of freak outs and freaks. Then I rolled over in my twin bed and fell back asleep.
I then woke up later, not sure when, but I remember my older sister Joan rustling about the house, a little stressed about the happenings of the day to come. She and my mom had spent the last month or so helping me, well maybe I helped them, yeah, that's it, I helped them to plan my wedding. You see, I was very young and had never had those day dreams of marriage or weddings or having kids...I was never the domestic type of kid. I was the animal type, the tom boy type, the follow your big brothers every where type, play in the barn or ride th horses all day type.
So the morning progressed and the sun peaked on the horizon. The rain was gone, but oh what a beautiful day had dawned. For those of you who have the pleasure of living in California, you'll know this, but for those that don't, summers can be warm and in the OC they can be smoggy and dirty after no rain for months. So that mornings little rain storm was a blessing. It cleared the smog from the sky and cleaned the dust off the leaves. It was God's way of adding his blessing to the marriage. Dusting off the landscape for our little ceremony, if you will. Thanks God!! in case I forgot to thank you.
So we got married, under the canopy of elms and sycamores at Eisenhower Park in the City of Orange. With family and friends all around and the betting. What? Yes, betting amongst some of the crowd to see how long it would last. Really. John had heard a group actually discussing and betting how long this thing would last. I wonder if anyone won. I wonder if the people betting are still alive. Thirty years later it aint over yet. Hope you didn't bet too much. Wait, on second thought, I hope you bet the bank and LOST!! That was just wrong.
My brother, Kevin and my cousin, Marcia, sang for us. Loggins and Messina's Danny's Song. I wish I had the recording of Marcia and Kevin, but at least I can hear L & M's version when ever I want. Thanks Marcia and Kevin!!! in case I forgot to thank you

Kenny Loggins & Messina - Dannys Song -

The day was beautiful and since I had no preconceived idea of how these things were to go, it was the best ever. Thank You Mom and Joan, in case I forgot to thank you!! It was the best I could have asked for.



Most of the photos were shot by my father, Bruce and an assistant (name unknown). Thanks Dad!!! in case I forgot to thank you!

But better yet, this marriage is the best I could have asked for.
Thanks John!!! in case I haven't thanked you. Thanks for thirty years of fun, happiness, joy, tears and comfort. You have given me so very much. I can't wait to see what's in store for us in the next thirty!! YEAH!!!

4 comments:

Joan Stewart Smith said...

What beautiful memories! Make sure you print this out, too! Happy anniversary, you two kids!
Love,
Joan

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't even know this was so special a song for you.I surely enjoyed listening and thanks for the inclusion. Yes,it is a special day for celebration. Those loser bets were surely off. You had the whole world ahead of you. Each being smart and healthy was your plus and , of course, family was all around for you. You have done it!! And done it well. Peace, Mother Yes, you can!!!!!

The Bruce said...

Buffy, your blog is quite beautifully maintained. Just a bit of addition to this posting would be nice though. Give credit to the photographer at your wedding, he would like that.
And a bit of correction. The park was not Glassell Park in the City of Orange. It was Eisenhower Park, at 2864 N. Tustin St. in the City of Orange. On the NW corner of Lincoln and Tustin.

Peaceful Change
Dad

dani said...

So glad I saw your blog Buffy! You ROCK! Happy Anniversary to you and John! Much love! Dani :)

Post a Comment