Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Walking Parker Mountain

This story begins with Face Book, sad but true. Well maybe not sad really. It is now the way we socialize.
Anyway, I was on FB and I became a fan of "Acton, Ca" and made some comments. Well, then J, my neighbor saw my comments, then she sent a friend request to me with the question, "Is this the Buffy that lives on ______ Ave?" and I accepted her friend request because I was just that one she thought I was.
So she and I met years ago when we first moved in. These past six years, we wave hi or stop to chat when we pass by on the street or at the market. That was pretty much the size of our relationship until this recent FB episode.
After we became friends, John and I were invited to her home for yummys and drinks. I find out she is hiking the mountain behind our home. I am intrigued.
Behind our home is Parker Mountain. It looks small in this picture, but it is not. For those of you who have been here you will remember how large, tall and beautiful it is. It has three trees at the top. Another friend of mine calls one of the trees "Elephant Tree" (because one looks like and elephant, duh).
J hikes up to the top four or five times a week. I am impressed and amazed and challenged. The challenge is not for competing with her or anyone else but for competing with myself. I love to push myself beyond my comfort zone once in a while, well, when I think I might succeed I mean.
So this past Saturday, I took her up on her offer to join her and some friends to the top. Here are some pictures of the way up.
It was awesome. Some places had a really great incline.

These two pictures actually show our home from above half way up the mountain. The one above shows the house on the right. The one below shows the house in the bottom left corner.

But what a success to reach the top.
Acton is amazing!!! What a beautiful place to live.
Here is our home again, from the top.
The cement foundation on which I am sitting was once a fire tower. As you look 360 degrees you can see why. You can see for miles and miles.

Santa Clarita Valley to the west. Santa Clarita is over 25 miles away.
Angeles Forest to the south.
Antelope Valley to the North.
Awesome work out. I intend to do this regularly.

3 comments:

Mary Kay Stewart said...

Buffy, Just gorgeous and so excitingly beautiful and precious. So I ask you why is there a plan to leave all this. You have been given a great home to love and care for. A memory or 2. If any of your nieces and nephews read this blog I am asking if they recall the climb up Little Lizardhead. And then there was the day your dad and Kevin and Chris hiked up to the summit of Box Springs mountain, Riverside, with the new videocamera. Awesome at the top to see San Bernardino, out to FWY 10, our 1/2 Acre below and the 360 degree view. Perhaps not nearly the elevation. They brought the climb back to us below in pictures, back to share with family. Thanks for this respite. Creation is unfathomable, the face of God!

Steve Schlund said...

Very nice story. I have lived in Acton for 11 years and have been on the top of Parker Mt. several times on my quad. I can even see the summit from my backyard. Parker Mt.
is definitely a great destination with spectacular views and Acton is a great place to live...... Steve Schlund

Acton Buff said...

Steve! How cool. Yeah I do miss that killer hike up and down Parker. It was always a great stress release. We had also taken the quad up there once or twice. It really is a great view.
Funny, we left Acton 11 years ago and now live in Northern Idaho. It's like Acton, but green and water and trees, simply amazing!
Hum, I wonder if you are in our old house on Acton Ave.

Post a Comment